BREAKING NEWS

Lehigh Valley

Man dies days after severely burned by cigarette

PALMER TWP., Pa. - A Phillipsburg man who accidentally lit himself on fire while lighting a cigarette has died.

Roger Carney, 78, was severely burned after he accidentally lit his clothes on fire while lighting a cigarette, according to the coroner's office.

The incident happened last Tuesday outside the Palmer Park Mall in Palmer Township.

Witnesses say Carney had his sweatshirt hood up, which ignited when he was lighting a cigarette with a butane lighter.

Carney sustained second- and third-degree burns to his hands, upper chest, neck, face and head, officials said.

Carney died Sunday night due to complications from the burns, the coroner's office said. His death was ruled accidental.


DISCLAIMER FOR COMMENTS: The views expressed by public comments are not those of this company or its affiliated companies. Please note by clicking on "Post" you acknowledge that you have read the TERMS OF USE  and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Your comments may be used on air. Be polite. Inappropriate posts or posts containing offsite links may be removed by the moderator.

This Week's Circulars

STORMCENTER UPDATE

WEATHER ALERT

Lehigh Valley News

Latest From The Newsroom