ALLENTOWN, Pa. - Authorities say a mental evaluation will be done on a Bethlehem man accused of stabbing an emergency room nurse and then going outside and howling at the moon.
19-year-old Joshua Santos pleaded not guilty Tuesday to attempted murder and aggravated assault charges.
Authorities say he sneaked into the ER at Lehigh Valley Hospital - Muhlenberg in Bethlehem with a steak knife on June 30 and stabbed a nurse in the neck.
Santos' attorney says his client suffers from some form of mental illness and says that could affect the upcoming trial.
"Between now and then we will be looking into a mental health evaluations and try o get a better idea of exactly what his mental health problems are," said Santos' attorney Gavin Holihan.
After the hearing, Santos yelled an expletive at the victim.
He is being held on a $100,000 bond.
- Snowfall totals so far
- Pennsylvania National Guard soldiers ready to help in storm
- YOUR PHOTOS: Fourth major winter storm in 3 weeks
- Berks County snow totals: How much have you seen?
- WATCH: 69 News Snow Patrol: Easton (6 p.m.)
- WATCH: 69 News Snow Patrol: Bucks County (6 p.m.)
- WATCH: 69 News Snow Patrol: Montgomery County (6 p.m.)
- WATCH: 69 News Snow Patrol (Lehigh County 6 p.m.)
- WATCH: Evening traffic commute
- WATCH: 69 News Snow Patrol: Berks County (5:30 p.m.)