ALLENTOWN Pa. - Despite Allentown City Council's decision not to confirm him as director, Mayor Ed Pawlowski has hired Michael Walker as Operations Manager in the Department of Community and Economic Development.
According to the mayor, the department oversees code enforcement, zoning, housing, community revitalization, federal grants, health, blight remediation, economic development and job creation.
"Despite the majority of City Council's decision not to confirm him in the director's role for reasons that have gone unexplained, I am of the opinion that Michael is extremely competent and capable and is the person needed to continue to move the initiatives of the department forward," Pawlowski said in a memo to City Council President Ray O'Connell.
According to the mayor's Communications Manager Mike Moore, Walker will have an annual salary $89,709. Moore said the mayor is allowed to fill just about any position in the city.
Moore added that while city council does get to confirm cabinet appointments, confirmation is not needed for any position below the rank of director.
- One Freddy winner's emotional day
- Teacher who had sex with student in cemetery going back to jail
- New Police raid home in Phillipsburg
- New Camelback Road bridge reopens
- Updated Alpine Mountain Ski area sold
- Updated Shortage of elder care workers a cause for concern
- East Greenville moves forward with police department
- Oley baseball players pay tribute to fallen teammate
- Students celebrate return of hometown hero
- Suspect who lost hand in home invasion sent to prison