BETHLEHEM, Pa. - Historic Moravian Bethlehem received an addition Tuesday.
A plaque was unveiled that designates the area as a National Historic Landmark District.
The U.S. Department of the Interior plaque was unveiled during a ceremony at Central Moravian Church, where it will be located outside.
"The district encompasses just over 14 acres here in the heart of Moravian Bethlehem," explained Charlene Donchez Mowers, President of Historic Bethlehem Museums and Sites.
She said buildings in the district date back to between 1741 and about 1810.
"If people think about Church Street to the east of Central Church down to the Colonial Industrial Quarter to the west of Central Church and next to Hotel Bethlehem, that'll give them a sense of where this district is located."
The area received the designation in 2012, but now has the plaque to proudly display.
"It's an honor," said Cynthia MacLeod, superintendent of Independence National Historical Park in Philadelphia, who represented the Secretary of the Interior at the ceremony. "It's done great things for many communities."
Historic Moravian Bethlehem is one of only eight National Historic Landmark Districts in the state and one of about 200 in the country.
"There needs to be such a high degree of authenticity and integrity in every single building in the district," explained Donchez Mowers, who said it took ten years to get to this point. "I did a lot of research, a lot of writing, a lot of submitting information and sending box after box of materials."
She added, "We are just thrilled and everyone should be so proud that this is here in the heart of our Lehigh Valley."
A Lehigh County man is charged with attempted homicide after a shooting Saturday.Read More »
- Coroner identifies body found under Linden Street Bridge
- Buckeye Tavern reopens 2 years after devastating fire
- Pharmacy owner shot in Whitehall robbery listed in stable condition
- Students learn emergency preparedness at Easton's Cheston Elementary
- LCCC to offer STEM classes for youth this summer
- BUSH to rock Sands Event Center this summer
- Updated New Jersey resident finds severed foot bone in sneaker
- Updated 2 white men, white woman selected for Cosby jury
- Updated Busted in Berks: Group suspected in Victoria's Secret thefts along East Coast
- Police: Upper Saucon man shoots nephew, chases him on golf cart
- Updated Man dies nearly week after motorcycle crash in Spring
- Updated Health Beat: Runner's knee: 3 red flags
- PennEast Pipeline would fuel Blue Mountain expansion
- Bird mites cleared from Lehighton High School
- Veteran of 2 wars tapped as grand marshal of Exeter parade
- 'A Charlie Brown Christmas' to be performed live in Reading