UPPER MACUNGIE TOWNSHIP, Pa. - A Lehigh County teenager is dead after a car hit him while he was trick-or-treating Friday night. The coroner said 14 year-old Jordan Steinmetz, an eighth grader at Springhouse Middle School, was struck by a car on a busy, unlit stretch of Schantz Road in Upper Macungie Twp.
"I think it's awfully tragic," said neighbor Christine Thomas.
Even more tragic for Thomas, because the victim had just come to to her door one hour before a car struck and killed him.
"They all had the masks on. They had no flashlights, and I think that's a hinderance" said Thomas. "You have a mask on and you go to turn, and your vision's blocked, and something like that happens, and it's just a darn shame."
Steinmetz's family did not want to talk on camera, but they and others said he was a typical, happy kid. Police have not said exactly how this accident happened or if the driver will be charged.
Neighbors told 69 News that Schantz Road is no place for trick-or-treating. It's busy, there's no shoulder to walk on, and there are no street lights there.
"We always trick-or-treated in a neighborhood, and we would purposely stay off Schantz Road, only because of the cars driving, and they did not slow down," said neighbor Denise Mickle.
Thomas added: "I think the lesson is, you need to watch your children more."
As this neighborhood prepares for possibly more trick-or-treaters over the next few nights, that's exactly what many parents there said they'll do.
- Bonilla kicks off campaign for Lehigh County Commissioner
- Mini-THON held at Allentown charter school
- Lehigh Valley Heart Ball raises money for American Heart Association
- 'Light the Way' celebration recognizes trailblazers in the community
- Local vineyard owners wary of warm weather
- Police searching for missing man in Bethlehem
- Updated Cosby is in court to ask judge for outside jury for trial
- Updated Warming trend starting this afternoon, but a few showers return tomorrow
- Updated Albert Boscov remembered during memorial service
- Updated Boscov: An American Story
- Updated Bonilla kicks off campaign for Lehigh County Commissioner
- Flemington man sentenced for child pornography
- Life Lessons: Swimming helps asthma
- Updated Strong storms, winds leave damage across the region
- Cell phone store robbed at gunpoint
- Updated Police allege man punches girlfriend, leaves her by side of the road