HELLERTOWN, Pa. - A New Jersey man stands accused of sexually assaulting a Hellertown woman nearly two years ago as she slept.
Hellertown police charged Omar F. Rojano-Coyotl, of Galloway Township in Atlantic County, with single felony counts of sexual assault and aggravated indecent assault of an unconscious person and a misdemeanor count of indecent assault of an unconscious person. District Judge Alan Mege arraigned the 40-year-old Wednesday morning, setting bail at $100,000.
The victim reported to police on May 1, 2016, that she was sexually assaulted overnight in her second-floor apartment.
She told authorities that she had awoken about 2 a.m. to Rojano-Coyotl sexually assaulting her, according to court records. As the victim woke up and became aware of what was happening, Rojano-Coyotl quickly retreated, according to the victim.
Police said the victim went to a hospital, where she was examined and evidence collected.
Police interviewed Rojano-Coyotl later that day and he allegedly admitted to touching the woman. Authorities collected a DNA swab from him a few days later and received results in Oct. 2016. Police filed charges against Rojano-Coyotl on Nov. 21, 2016.
Court records do not indicate how Rojano-Coyotl knew the victim or why he was in her apartment.
He failed to post bail and was sent to Northampton County Prison to await a preliminary hearing.
Hellertown's Water Street Bridge was closed Thursday after a hole opened up right in the middle of it.Read More »
- Police: Car involved in Palmer Township crash was reported stolen
- Fired! YEA board denies ex-director's resignation, fires him amid misconduct allegations
- SouthSide Arts & Music Festival is back in Bethlehem
- Salisbury High School dismisses early due to power outage
- Police find overturned car, snapped utility pole, but no driver
- Upper Macungie zoning amendments address farm-based entertainment
- Updated Fired! YEA board denies ex-director's resignation, fires him amid misconduct allegations
- Updated Police: Car involved in Palmer Township crash was reported stolen
- Southwest plane rescuer: 'God created a servant heart in me'
- Updated Water Street Bridge in Hellertown closed after hole opens up in deck
- Updated Annual 'Go Fly a Kite Day' set for April 28 in Bern
- Cosby defense loses 5th bid for mistrial
- Updated PHOTOS: Pieces of Southwest Airlines plane found in Berks
- Better than a beach photo: Christie spends $85K on portrait
- Mount Pocono man wanted for homicide in Wayne County
- Shoppers sad to say bye-bye to Bon-Ton; 'I'm very upset'