Lehigh Valley

Northampton teen leads police on 30-minute chase

Officers used Taser to finally subdue suspect

NORTHAMPTON, Pa. - An 18-year-old led officers from three police departments on a chase through Northampton borough after allegedly threatening a man, who told the teen he didn’t want to buy any drugs.

Terrance Meyers, of West Fourth Street in Northampton, faces a handful of charges, including resisting arrest and assault, in connection with the lengthy pursuit Saturday afternoon. District Judge James Narlesky arraigned the teen late that night, setting bail at $15,000.

Authorities said the entire fracas began shortly before 3:30 p.m. Saturday as Meyers and another man walked past a home in the 1700 block of Franklin Street.

The homeowner, who was sitting on his front porch, told police the two men asked him if he wanted to buy drugs, according to court records. When he told the two to move it along, Meyers allegedly became aggressive, said he wanted to fight and allegedly threatened to return and “shoot the house up,” according to records.

A Northampton officer spotted the two in the 1800 block of Franklin Street, and they ran west across railroad tracks onto Newport Avenue. Police said they knew Meyers and the second man, Paul MacCarthy, from “numerous prior contacts.” They also learned the two were wanted on warrants out of Northampton County juvenile probation.

Officers began searching the borough for the Meyers and MacCarthy. They learned from witnesses that a green car picked up the duo in the parking lot of the Gin Mill bar on Main Street. As officers spoke with witnesses, they watched as a green vehicle drove past and passengers ducked down in the backseat.

Officers from the Lehigh Township and North Catasauqua police departments began assisting in the chase.

Police stopped the green car and found Meyers inside. He wriggled out of custody and led officers on a 30-minute chase.

Authorities allege Meyers ran through yard after yard, hopping fences and gates along the way. He even allegedly ran past a man and woman, doubled back and punched the woman in the neck because she “gave him up” to police, according to records.

Officers finally managed to corner Meyers in the backyard of a home in the 1700 block of Newport Avenue. He allegedly refused orders to stop running, prompting police to use a Taser to subdue him.

Police charged Meyers with terroristic threats, escape, flight from apprehension, resisting arrest, simple assault and public drunkenness. The judge approved a 10 percent cash option, but Meyers failed to post bail.

He was sent to Northampton County Prison to await a June 2 preliminary hearing.

DISCLAIMER FOR COMMENTS: The views expressed by public comments are not those of this company or its affiliated companies. Please note by clicking on "Post" you acknowledge that you have read the TERMS OF USE  and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Your comments may be used on air. Be polite. Inappropriate posts or posts containing offsite links may be removed by the moderator.

This Week's Circulars

Lehigh Valley News

Latest From The Newsroom