S. WHITEHALL TWP., Pa. - Parkland School District canceled classes for all schools Friday after a large fire broke out at a bus garage.
It started around 3:10 a.m. at a garage that houses school buses behind Orefield Middle School on Stadium Drive in South Whitehall Township.
More than 70 firefighters from seven fire departments responded to the scene as flames tore through the building.
Several neighbors reported hearing explosions. Fire crews said those were bus tires exploding in the fire.
Superintendent Rich Sniscak said about 25 school buses were damaged or destroyed.
Officials said firefighters set up a perimeter around the garage and were able to get it under control a few hours later.
Firefighters removed some damaged roofing to make sure all hotspots were out.
No one was injured.
Officials are trying to determine what started the fire.
- Snowfall totals so far
- Pennsylvania National Guard soldiers ready to help in storm
- YOUR PHOTOS: Fourth major winter storm in 3 weeks
- Berks County snow totals: How much have you seen?
- WATCH: 69 News Snow Patrol: Easton (6 p.m.)
- WATCH: 69 News Snow Patrol: Bucks County (6 p.m.)
- WATCH: 69 News Snow Patrol: Montgomery County (6 p.m.)
- WATCH: 69 News Snow Patrol (Lehigh County 6 p.m.)
- WATCH: Evening traffic commute
- WATCH: 69 News Snow Patrol: Berks County (5:30 p.m.)