NORTH WHITEHALL TWP., Pa. - Alcohol was a factor in a head-on crash that killed a one-year-old girl, said state police, who added that the baby was not restrained in a safety seat.
The accident happened around 9:00 Monday night on Old Post Road, between Maple and Cobbler roads, in North Whitehall Township, Lehigh County.
Police said they suspect the driver of a pickup truck of being drunk when he lost control of his vehicle around a curve and collided with the family's oncoming minivan.
The baby in the minivan, who police said was being held by her father on his lap in the front passenger seat, died at the scene, said the coroner, who identified her as Katrina Gunkel, 1, of Slatington. The baby's mother was driving the minivan.
Gunkel's parents, Dana Frisk and Mark Gunkel, both 30, from Slatington, were seriously injured in the accident. Dana was last reported to be in critical condition; Mark was in good condition.
The driver of the truck, Randy Teets, 56, from Whitehall Township, Lehigh County, was also injured in the crash.
State police and the Lehigh County District Attorney are investigating the crash. So far, no charges have been filed.
- Sunday to be milder with sun, high clouds
- President Trump will celebrate 100-day benchmark with rally in Harrisburg
- Berks man who turned life around is giving back to humane society
- Man working on NFL draft stage injured after fall
- Local libraries fight to survive cuts
- Fishing event makes dreams come true
- Legendary coach honored in Kutztown
- Giant issues recall of Atkins burritos, Lay's Kettle Cooked chips
- Pennsylvania launches tax amnesty program
- Fire guts attached garage, damages home in Rush Twp.