BATH, Pa. - Authorities allege that a bartender accused of stealing from a Northampton County fire company’s social club is caught on video swiping nearly $600.
Rhonda K. Omelko, of Stroudsburg, faces two misdemeanor counts of theft for allegedly stealing from the Bath Fire Co. Social Club. District Judge Dan Corpora arraigned the 63-year-old late Monday night. She was released on $10,000 unsecured bail.
Colonial Regional police were dispatched to the social hall on Monday to investigate a reported theft. Police were told that the suspected thief and employee, Omelko, was off duty at the bar that day and playing bingo, according to court records.
The club president told police that the social club keeps the bar’s cash deposit bags in a locked cabinet in a separate room. Only three people have keys that open the cabinet, and Omelko was not one of them.
Video surveillance allegedly shows Omelko on Oct. 7 using some type of tool to jimmy the locked cabinet drawer, according to records. Authorities allege she’s then seen closing the drawer and wiping the area of the cabinet she touched.
Police said video from Oct. 21 allegedly shows her again breaking into the cabinet. Club officials said the Oct. 7 cash bag was short $350, and that the Oct. 21 cash bag was short $220.
On Monday, an officer called Omelko into the office, where she allegedly admitted stealing $570 from the cash bags.
Her next court date is a preliminary hearing scheduled for Nov. 6.
- Snow winding down; temperature is dropping
- Road conditions deteriorating as temperature drops
- PHOTOS: 69 News viewer photos of the first snowfall of the season
- Husband charged in death of North Catasauqua woman
- Excitement and cheer fill the North Pole Express
- Police investigate burglary at house in Hunterdon County
- History's Headlines: The Youngest Allen
- Free adoption weekend in Berks County
- 69 News spreads a little Christmas cheer
- Breaking down the Bitcoin buzz