ALLENTOWN, Pa. - An Allentown man is facing assault charges for allegedly beating up a woman who was seven months pregnant.
Allentown police were initially dispatched to a South Fourth Street apartment shortly before 5 p.m. on May 28, 2016, to investigate a domestic incident. The victim told authorities that Saleem Barber had come to her apartment about 30 minutes earlier to see their 7-month-old child, according to court records.
She told police he argued with her before she agreed to allow him to see the baby. After they walked back into the hallway, Barber allegedly began arguing with her again and punched her in the face several times, according to records.
An officer said he observed bruising around the victim’s eye along with a small cut under the eye and a lump above it. Police said she was taken to the hospital to be examined because she was seven months pregnant.
Police said they were unable to find Barber at his home in the 600 block of West Allen Street, so they issued a warrant for his arrest.
District Judge Jacob Hammond arraigned the 19-year-old Sunday evening on simple assault and harassment charges, setting bail at $5,000. Barber was released from Lehigh County Jail Monday after posting bail. His next court date is a preliminary hearing tentatively scheduled for Feb. 27.
The outburst came Thursday as students were discussing emotions about the recent shooting in Florida.Read More »
- Black Panther premiere party a hit in Allentown
- Spin and win deals at eateries with new app
- Local residents make a difference in Sierra Leone
- Trial of Allentown Mayor Ed Pawlowski takes some unexpected turns
- Recent tragedy makes room for reevaluation of school safety
- Snow emergencies in place for local areas
- Quick hitting storm brings snow late today and tonight
- Crews prep for weekend wintry weather
- Bethlehem's Friends of Music introduces Outstanding Young Artist Competition
- Updated Presidential historian Tim Blessing discusses President's Day
- Harrisburg food pantry dishes out Gov. Wolf's Super Bowl winnings
- Updated Lunar New Year celebrations in Hong Kong; Pa Asian-American families also celebrate
- Updated Pa. Turnpike reopened after wreck in Lehigh Tunnel
- Police: Dieruff student said he was going to kill everyone at school
- Updated PHOTOS: Victims of south Florida school shooting
- Updated TSA testing new facial recognition system