ALLENTOWN, Pa. - Police have arrested a man they said shot and killed a man who was Allentown's first homicide victim of 2012.
Lehigh County District Attorney Jim Martin on Tuesday announced the arrest of Enrique Manuel Ortiz in connection with the killing of Hagos F. Mezgebo.
Ortiz, 25, is also charged with illegally possessing a firearm, terroristic threats, recklessly endangering another person and simple assault.
According to arrest documents, officers responded to a report of shots fired in the 200 block of Fountain Street just before 1 a.m. on Jan. 7.
Police found Mezgebo, 22, suffering from multiple gunshot wounds near Fountain and Chew streets.
After Ortiz allegedly shot Mezgebo, police said Ortiz fled the area and pulled out a gun and threatened three people he encountered.
Ortiz was arraigned Tuesday and committed to the Lehigh County Prison without bail.
- Updated Lehigh Valley Zoo giraffe dies from neck injury
- Great white shark Mary Lee detected off New Jersey coast
- Catasauqua store robbed at gunpoint
- Bucks man gets life plus 15 to 30 years in friend's shooting death
- PHOTOS: Observing Memorial Day
- In opioid crisis, a new risk for police: accidental overdose
- Monroe County farm holds annual Farm Animal Frolic
- Package that led to Newark airport evacuation deemed safe
- Fire destroys barn in Lehigh Twp.
- Artvana could take the place of former Mayfair Festival