ALLENTOWN, Pa. - Police have arrested a man they said shot and killed a man who was Allentown's first homicide victim of 2012.
Lehigh County District Attorney Jim Martin on Tuesday announced the arrest of Enrique Manuel Ortiz in connection with the killing of Hagos F. Mezgebo.
Ortiz, 25, is also charged with illegally possessing a firearm, terroristic threats, recklessly endangering another person and simple assault.
According to arrest documents, officers responded to a report of shots fired in the 200 block of Fountain Street just before 1 a.m. on Jan. 7.
Police found Mezgebo, 22, suffering from multiple gunshot wounds near Fountain and Chew streets.
After Ortiz allegedly shot Mezgebo, police said Ortiz fled the area and pulled out a gun and threatened three people he encountered.
Ortiz was arraigned Tuesday and committed to the Lehigh County Prison without bail.
An event with plenty of heart raised money for the American Heart Association Saturday night.Read More »
- 'Light the Way' celebration recognizes trailblazers in the community
- Local vineyard owners wary of warm weather
- Police searching for missing man in Bethlehem
- Bethlehem police searching for missing elderly man
- Lafayette College asks for temporary dorms amid rise in applicants
- Local movie experts preview the Oscars
- Updated Cosby to ask judge for outside jury for criminal trial
- Updated Warming trend to start the week, but a few showers return tomorrow
- Albert Boscov remembered during memorial service
- Boscov: An American Story
- Strong storms, winds leave damage across the region
- Cold and calm overnight under mainly clear skies
- Cell phone store robbed at gunpoint
- Lehigh Valley Heart Ball raises money for American Heart Association
- Pink slips may await some Pennsylvania public universities
- PHOTOS: Strong storms, winds leave damage across the region