Police opened fire in the parking lot of a busy Lehigh County shopping center after a man stole a pick-up truck and led officers on a high-speed chase, officials said.
The chase ended at around 4:30 p.m. Saturday at the Shoppes at Trexler on Hamilton Boulevard in Trexlertown.
Shawn Boyle, of Allentown, said he was mowing his lawn when a man he didn't recognize jumped into his brand new Chevy pick-up truck and took off from Lehigh Street.
"I see my truck backing down the driveway," Boyle said. "So I chased after him and called police."
Boyle said he left the keys in the parked car after running an errand.
Allentown police issued an alert for the reported stolen vehicle.
Officers in Emmaus started a chase after they spotted the truck speeding.
Investigators said the suspect crashed into at least three other, before he was stopped in Upper Macungie Township, six miles from Boyle's home.
State Police tell 69 News they deployed stop strips to slow the suspect down near The Shoppes at Trexler on Hamilton Street.
Troopers believe the suspect swerved to avoid the strip and struck a tree before hopping out of the car and taking off on foot.
That's when troopers said they opened fire.
A bullet struck a minivan that was parked in the Kohl's parking lot, troopers said.
The suspect was nabbed immediately after, state police said.
Boyle said he's glad there was swift justice, but he's not so happy about the state of his new truck.
The 2013 Silverado was purchased two months ago and had 2,000 miles on it, Boyle said.
Police haven't released the suspect's name or potential charges, but said he was taken to the hospital for non-life threatening injuries after the crash.
No one else was injured.
The investigation is ongoing.
- Updated Today cooler, closer to seasonable with more clouds than sun
- First responders practice emergency preparedness at LVIA
- Updated President Trump signs executive order on trade while in Pennsylvania
- Candidates for Allentown mayor weigh in on the issues
- Updated Crews rescue woman from Allentown fire
- Mahoning Drive-in Theatre is open for business
- Almost like summer at FirstEnergy Stadium
- Nazareth rollover crash injures two
- Man shot in Allentown Friday afternoon
- Members of white supremacist group face federal charges