Lehigh Valley

Police: Man stabbed in leg after breaking into ex's home

The Moore Twp. man fought with her boyfriend

LEHIGH TWP., Pa. - Police allege a Northampton County man tried to break into his ex-wife’s house, strangling her boyfriend and getting stabbed in the leg in the process.

Lehigh Township police charged Andrew Silfies, of East Valley Drive in Moore Township, with strangulation, simple assault and two counts of harassment in connection with the fracas late Friday night in the Treichlers area of the township. District Judge Daniel Corpora arraigned the 39-year-old early Sunday morning, setting bail at $15,000.

Township police responded to an East Breadfruit Drive home shortly after 11:30 p.m. Friday after several reports of two men fighting and information that a gunshot was heard.

When officers arrived, they found one of the victims on the front porch of the house about 100 yards away, yelling that Silfies had run away and that a gun had discharged during the fight, according to court records. The man did as ordered and left the handgun in the house and walked to police at the end of the driveway. Police found a utility knife in the man’s pocket, which he said was used to defend himself against Silfies, according to records.

He told authorities he received a call about 11 p.m. from his girlfriend – Silfies ex-wife – that Silfies was trying to force his way into her house, according to records. He decided to grab his Kel-Tec 9mm and head to her house to help. He notified police that he had a concealed carry permit.

At the house, Silfies was allegedly trying to force his way inside. The two man began wrestling, and Silfies applied a chokehold. As he started blacking out, the victim told police he reached for his utility knife and stabbed his attacker in the leg.

The victim pointed his gun at Silfies, ordering him to leave. Another fight ensued, and the gun accidentally fired, sending a round through a kitchen cabinet into a wall.

Silfies’ ex-wife told police they had dinner together earlier in the evening before arguing over who she was dating. She told police that her ex-husband had managed to barge into the house before her boyfriend arrived.

Police called Silfies about an hour after the attack occurred, and he claimed that he had been shot in the leg and was “bleeding uncontrollably,” according to records. Officers from the Lehigh Township and Moore Township police departments met Silfies at his home.

Police said a drunken Silfies had clearly sustained a stab wound, not a gunshot wound.

Silfies failed to post bail and was sent to Northampton County Prison to await a preliminary hearing scheduled for May 19.

DISCLAIMER FOR COMMENTS: The views expressed by public comments are not those of this company or its affiliated companies. Please note by clicking on "Post" you acknowledge that you have read the TERMS OF USE  and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Your comments may be used on air. Be polite. Inappropriate posts or posts containing offsite links may be removed by the moderator.

This Week's Circulars



Lehigh Valley News

Latest From The Newsroom