ALLENTOWN, Pa. - Police say a commercial box truck struck and killed a pedestrian Thursday afternoon on the corner of 18th and Tilghman Streets in Allentown.
Authorities have not identified the victim but did say she was a 42-year-old woman.
Police say it all happened around 4:00 pm shortly after a Jack and Jill box truck had just finished its delivery of ice cream to the Dollar General Store.
Angelica Johnson who works across the street at Minutemen press says she saw the commotion but didn't know what had happened.
" I saw everybody just swarm in like ambulance, cops, everything. They blocked it off and then that's when a customer came in and said 'oh did you see the body?' and I said no. So I looked under the truck and that's when I saw the woman lying there," she said.
Police say they don't know how the woman was struck but say the truck was stationary and when the driver pulled out, somehow, the victim's body ended up underneath the vehicle.
"It felt like a movie. I'm not going to lie, it felt like a movie 'cause especially how the roads were and then everybody coming up seeing it. I don't know, it was sad," said Johnson.
The manager of the Dollar General did not want to appear on camera but said the woman was in the store moments before.
No one knew or heard what happened until the driver of the truck ran inside the store.
"He was over at the corner of the building of dollar general and he bent down, his face was red he was holding his face. Yeah, he did not look happy," said Johnson.
Witnesses say the driver was taken from the scene by police and later returned to explain what happened.
Police say the incident is still under investigation.
- Great white shark Mary Lee detected off New Jersey coast
- Catasauqua store robbed at gunpoint
- Bucks man gets life plus 15 to 30 years in friend's shooting death
- PHOTOS: Observing Memorial Day
- In opioid crisis, a new risk for police: accidental overdose
- Monroe County farm holds annual Farm Animal Frolic
- Package that led to Newark airport evacuation deemed safe
- Fire destroys barn in Lehigh Twp.
- Artvana could take the place of former Mayfair Festival
- Coroner identifies man found dead in Schuylkill River