BETHLEHEM TWP., Pa. - Police say it took more than an hour and a strong negotiator to get John Hann to get out of his pickup truck and surrender peacefully.
Although we're told that he had two handguns, Hann never pointed them at officers who surrounded his truck when he was unwilling to get out.
Finally around 10:30 a.m. Thursday, Hann's arrest ended hours of tension in Bethlehem Township.
"Basically stayed upstairs for first few hours," said Bethlehem Township resident John Omalia.
It's not yet clear what enticed 61-year-old John Hann to get to Oakland and Santee roads after allegedly shooting two people in Lehigh Township last night.
Troopers say Hann never threatened them, but they knew he was armed and neighbors, unaware of what was happening, were urged to stay inside.
"An emergency alert came on our phone this morning and woke us up, telling us to stay inside, lock the doors, and stay away from the windows," Omalia said.
Students in four Bethlehem District schools went on lockdown.
Some middle school students who hadn't yet made it to their building were diverted to Liberty High School until all was clear at the scene nearby.
Concerned parents waited outside close to their phones hoping to hear relieving news from their children inside.
Everything was back to normal around 10:30 a.m. when police got their guy and took him away in handcuffs, hauling him and the truck to state police headquarters.
Hann spent hours at the barracks while prosecutors finalized homicide charges against him.
Two Lehigh County men are in trouble with the law after a fatal crash that involved a stolen minivan and a car in northern Berks County.Read More »
- Allentown police: Yu, Esterly book one-way ticket to Cancun
- Coroner searching for Judith Myers next of kin
- Lehigh Valley receives $5 million in state solar energy grants
- Allentown parish school to close in June
- 'Match Day' a right of passage for medical students
- Gun club caretaker allegedly fleeces club, members out of thousands
- Updated Allentown men charged after fatal crash involving stolen van
- Police: Drugged driver caused serious crash on Airport Road
- Updated Allentown police: Yu, Esterly book one-way ticket to Cancun
- Updated Stroudsburg teen immerses herself in Irish dancing
- 66-year-old stabbed by juvenile, ruled a homicide
- Company behind Florida's bridge design has local ties
- Bucks County rehousing program alleviates homeless population
- From restaurants to rails, St. Patrick's Day fun for all
- PSU president meets with community leaders in Reading
- Change of plans: Bear Creek to extend season a few more days