PIKE TWP., Pa. - A cold case in Lehigh County appears to be heating up.
69 News uncovered exclusive details after FBI agents and police searched a rural part of Berks County for clues.
Authorities would not release which cold case it is, but a source with knowledge of the investigation said the FBI and police were searching for a body in Pike Township.
Lehigh County District Attorney Jim Martin confirmed they were searching for evidence in a criminal case, but he had no further comment.
The property owner said she signed a consent two weeks ago, which gave the FBI permission to search her property in Pike Township.
"The only thing they would say and they kept repeating was it's an ongoing grand jury investigation," said the woman, who asked we not use her name.
Rumors have been circulating ever since. A neighbor showed 69 News the multiple holes the agents dug deep in the woods in the area of Dotterer and Club roads.
"A lot of people came in a whole caravan and then they blocked off the road and they wouldn't tell us anything," said Gladys Reinhold, who lives across from the search.
"You just don't realize something like that is going on when you live here. It just seems like a nice, peaceful quiet area, and to know something like that is going on is very scary," said Randall Troxel, a local resident.
Residents said they were kept in the dark and their questions went unanswered as the FBI and police searched for two straight days.
"They should have told us to warn us in case there was something bad going on, but they didn't," said Charles Reinhold, who also lives near the scene.
Some of their concerns were eased after learning authorities were looking into a cold case and not an active one.
The property owner said she called police when they were finished and they told her they found nothing. She also said she was told the investigators exhausted all their leads, but they may be back.
- Updated Coroner called to Penn Twp. crash along Rt. 183
- Some rain/thunder this morning; PM shower/t-storm
- Lehigh Valley Zoo giraffe dies from neck injury
- Updated Life Lessons: The nurse who paints her patients
- Purple Heart recipient gets honored Memorial Day weekend
- Catasauqua police nab armed robbery suspect
- Countryside is making a strong comeback
- Local man takes business idea to the beach
- Bucks man gets life plus 15 to 30 years in friend's shooting death
- PHOTOS: Observing Memorial Day