Lehigh Valley

Smoke detector saves man from Lehigh County house fire, officials say

Homeowner fell asleep with food on the stove.

Fire in Catasauqua

CATASAUQUA, Pa. - A man is lucky to be alive after his house caught fire in Lehigh County on Tuesday night.

Fire broke through the roof of 549 Bethlehem Rd. in Catasauqua around 7:45 p.m.

Fire officials said the homeowner fell asleep while cooking food on the stove, which caught fire. He was saved by a working smoke detector, which woke him up, officials said.

The fire was ruled an accident.

No one was injured in the blaze.

The Catasauqua Fire Department responded to the scene and had the fire out in an hour, but the house was severely damaged.


DISCLAIMER FOR COMMENTS: The views expressed by public comments are not those of this company or its affiliated companies. Please note by clicking on "Post" you acknowledge that you have read the TERMS OF USE  and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Your comments may be used on air. Be polite. Inappropriate posts or posts containing offsite links may be removed by the moderator.

Allentown, PA 18102

31°F

Broken Clouds

TONIGHT

29°F

  • %

This Week's Circulars

Top Stories

Latest from the newsroom

More from the Newsroom