Lehigh Valley

State police identify trooper shot in Northampton County

Cpl. Seth Kelly in critical but stable condition

HANOVER TWP., Pa. - State police have identified the troopers involved in the shooting on Route 33 in Northampton County.

During a press conference Wednesday morning, officials said Cpl. Seth Kelly, 39, was gravely injured after he was shot multiple times Tuesday morning.

Police said as of Wednesday morning, Kelly, a 13-year state police veteran, remains in critical but stable condition in the hospital.

Police said it was Trooper Ryan Seiple who pulled over a car on Route 33, near Route 191, in Plainfield Township around 10:15 a.m.

Seiple issued the man, identified as Daniel Clary, a citation, and told him he was free to go.

As Seiple was about to pull away, officials said Clary got out of his car and flagged the trooper down to ask him more about the traffic ticket.

It was then that Seiple realized Clary, 22, appeared to be under the influence of marijuana, and Seiple called for backup.

Kelly arrived on scene around 10:35 a.m., and the troopers conducted field sobriety tests. When they tried to arrest him, Clary freed himself and began violently fighting the troopers.

"It was a knockout, drag-out fight along the side of the road with vehicles speeding by, and [Clary] got very, very violent. I saw the confrontation on video already and it was a very violent fight," said Capt. Rich D'Ambrosio, commander of the Troop M barracks in Bethlehem.

D'Ambrosio said the troopers used a Taser on Clary and he fell over, but was able to get up and keep fighting. Officials said the violent scuffle went on for about two minutes, sometimes going into the highway traffic lane.

Officials said Clary then ran back to his car, grabbed a gun, and shot at the troopers several times, hitting Kelly several times.

The troopers returned fire, and police said Kelly fell over the guiderail, but was still able to fire shots at Clary's car. Clary got in his car and sped off.

State police said Kelly was able to get a tourniquet that he carried on his belt and apply it to one of his own wounds, likely saving his life.

He was then taken to St. Luke's University Hospital in Fountain Hill where he underwent multiple surgeries.

Officials said Kelly remains in critical but stable condition, and will have another surgery to remove a bullet Wednesday night or Thursday morning.

"We all have our fingers crossed for him. He's certainly doing much better than he was 24 hours ago," D'Ambrosio said.

Meanwhile, officials said Clary drove himself to Easton Hospital and was taken into police custody. A car with its back windows shot out was seen outside the emergency room there.

Clary was taken to Lehigh Valley Hospital - Cedar Crest and underwent surgery. His condition was not known Wednesday morning. Officials said Clary was living in Effort, Monroe County.

He will be arraigned Wednesday morning on attempted criminal homicide and related charges.

District Attorney John Morganelli said prosecutors will seek the maximum penalty for Clary.

DISCLAIMER FOR COMMENTS: The views expressed by public comments are not those of this company or its affiliated companies. Please note by clicking on "Post" you acknowledge that you have read the TERMS OF USE  and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Your comments may be used on air. Be polite. Inappropriate posts or posts containing offsite links may be removed by the moderator.

This Week's Circulars


Lehigh Valley News

Latest From The Newsroom