SALISBURY TWP., Pa. - Friends, family and strangers revved their engines for a good cause Thursday.
A large group met in Salisbury Township to show support for 21 year-old Alana Knieriem of Center Valley, who was recently injured in a car accident.
Friends and family said Knieriem is an off-roading enthusiast. She was driving her Jeep Cherokee when she crashed, her mother told 69 News.
"She has a lot of facial injuries, facing surgery tomorrow and some internal, she's banged up pretty much," said Louann Felgenhauer, Alana's mother.
"She had her dog Daisy with her. Thankfully Daisy's okay because Daisy's going to be what brings Alana around," she added.
People came from all over in their Jeeps, trucks, and other vehicles to ride together to Lehigh Valley Hospital, where the group gathered to show support. People signed posters and offered donations.
Alana is so passionate about off-roading in her Jeep, she is part of a group called the Unknown Off-road Association.
"It's basically an off-road club for anybody who's interested in doing offroad events with 4x4's," explained Jason Staples, who is also in the group.
"When I got stuck one time last year I called her up, I had to hike about a half mile out to get cell service, when I did that I called her up. She got together with a bunch of other people and helped me get unstuck. I thought I'd come out and pay it forward to her," said Staples.
"She reached out to a lot of other people through times up in the trails and we just felt it was time to give back to her," said Rick Knauer, whose family has gotten to know Alana through their shared interests.
"She's in the ICU right now and she doesn't know what's happening, so we're hoping that she someday can see this," Knauer added.
While Alana has a long recovery ahead of her, her mother is hopeful.
Felgenhauer said, "They said after a few surgeries and therapy and things she'll be back to herself she'll be back getting in a Jeep soon."
Donation page: http://www.gofundme.com/a89vls
- Great white shark Mary Lee detected off New Jersey coast
- Updated Bucks man gets life plus 15 to 30 years in friend's shooting death
- Updated PHOTOS: Observing Memorial Day
- In opioid crisis, a new risk for police: accidental overdose
- Monroe County farm holds annual Farm Animal Frolic
- Package that led to Newark airport evacuation deemed safe
- Fire destroys barn in Lehigh Twp.
- Artvana could take the place of former Mayfair Festival
- Coroner identifies man found dead in Schuylkill River
- Memorial honors Lehigh Valley veteran