WILSON, Pa. - A block was cordoned off Saturday in Wilson, Northampton Co., after a building was evacuated because of structural damage caused by heavy snow and ice accumulation.
Butler Street, between 18th and Ridge streets, was closed after numerous cracks appeared in the Wash-A-Teria laundromat and Carnig Cleaners and Dryers building. Police said no injuries were reported.
Cracks are clearly visible across the front of the building, which is bowing outward.
In addition to housing the laundromat and cleaners businesses, there are two apartments in the building's upstairs.
The road in front of the building will be closed for at least a week, according to police.
Work to repair the building is scheduled to begin Monday morning, according to the property owner.
Police said they were informed of the structural problems Friday afternoon after the building owner contacted the borough.
- Runners take on St. Luke's Half Marathon
- Eric Frein's strategy to avoid death: Blame Dad
- 2.3 magnitude earthquake hits Lancaster County
- Trump nears 100 days: 'It's a different kind of presidency'
- Ex-clerk files federal lawsuit claiming Alpha Borough allowed sexual harassment
- State police: Trooper, 2 people in SUV injured in crash
- April the giraffe becomes a cash cow for tiny zoo
- Man working on NFL draft stage injured after fall
- Local libraries fight to survive cuts
- Berks man who turned life around is giving back to humane society