The crisis in Iraq is stirring a lot of emotions in soldiers who fought in the Iraq War.
One of them, a local man, has been sharing his insights on CNN.
"It was a gut wrenching feeling almost like a sucker punch," said former Marine Adam Banotai in reaction to the recent falling of Fallujah, Iraq to ISIS insurgents.
The Schnecksville man helped to secure Fallujah almost a decade ago.
"We didn't think it would fall so quickly, so easily. That was more a slap in the face was what we fought so hard to take was not fought for equally hard to defend," Banotai said.
But he says the best thing the U.S. can do is stay out of now, chaos riddled Iraq.
"I think it would be an absolute mistake to send troops back to Iraq. In part because of the way I think it would be handled," he went on the say.
The 31 year-old, who served two eight-month tours in Iraq, says both the current and previous American presidents have mishandled the war.
"The war was fought with one hand tied behind our back. If we could have unleashed the full might of the U.S. military, I don't think there would have been an insurgency in the first place because there would have been a complete and overwhelming victory," Banotai went to explain.
However Banotai admits no matter the money, expertise, or equipment of the U.S. military, long term democratic success rests with the Iraqi people.
"[Iraqis] say, 'We are not going to tolerate these militant rebels coming into our country.' They need to be the ones to stand up for own democracy, their own right to live freely," he said.
Banotai thinks a possible solution is to break Iraq into three separate countries and people are listening to his points.
CNN has had him on air several times already and he's due back in New York to appear on the cable news channel on Thursday.
North Korea fired a short-range ballistic missile Monday morning that landed in the ocean, the US military said.Read More »
- Blast after Ariana Grande concert kills 22
- Artists and activists call for Brazilian president to resign
- Navy skydiver dies when parachute fails to open
- DHS chief says reported Russian back-channel not a 'big deal'
- A-Rod said to sign on as ABC News contributor
- Merkel says Europeans can't 'completely' rely on US
- Updated Lehigh Valley Zoo giraffe dies from neck injury
- Countryside is making a strong comeback
- Local man takes business idea to the beach
- Great white shark Mary Lee detected off New Jersey coast
- Catasauqua store robbed at gunpoint
- Bucks man gets life plus 15 to 30 years in friend's shooting death
- PHOTOS: Observing Memorial Day
- In opioid crisis, a new risk for police: accidental overdose
- Monroe County farm holds annual Farm Animal Frolic
- Package that led to Newark airport evacuation deemed safe