Tom Staggs, chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, made the much-anticipated announcement during a dedication ceremony Friday morning.
The family-style coaster completes the New Fantasyland area of the park, the largest expansion in the Magic Kingdom's 43-year history.
"Seven Dwarfs Mine Train is both literally and figuratively the centerpiece of New Fantasyland, so we knew it had to be something special," Staggs said. "The attraction appeals to everyone in the family and provides just the right blend of heart, humor, and thrill while keeping with the charm of this special land."Video: Ride the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
The attraction, inspired by Disney's "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" animated film classic, will immerse riders in the lovable world of Sleepy, Doc, Grumpy, Bashful, Sneezy, Happy and Dopey, all of whom joined Staggs for the announcement.
The attraction, Disney officials said, also features an innovative new ride system that allows the mine train's cars to pivot back and forth during the ride's twists, turns, hills and drops.
Other attractions in New Fantasyland include Under the Sea - Journey of the Little Mermaid; Enchanted Tales with Belle; Dumbo the Flying Elephant; and the Beast's Castle, featuring the Be Our Guest restaurant.Images: Disney dedicates Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
A man armed with a knife was shot and injured by police Saturday after he drove a car into a group of pedestrians in Heidelberg, Germany, local police said.Read More »
- Governors mull Medicaid expansion ahead of Trump meeting
- Spurned again in DNC vote, progressives threaten revolt
- Truck rams New Orleans crowd during Mardi Gras parade; 28 injured
- Kurdish reporter Shifa Gardi killed in Iraq
- Trump declines to attend White House correspondents' dinner
- Judge rules against dismissing charges against Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl
- Public memorial service planned for Al Boscov
- Man shot, killed by Reading police after allegedly pointing shotgun at officers
- Strong storms move through the region
- Police investigating morning shooting in Reading
- Police searching for missing man in Bethlehem
- Bethlehem police searching for missing elderly man
- Judge: Man charged in deadly stabbing will remain jailed
- Police work to bring back murder suspect who fled state with 6-year-old daughter
- Police: Driver owes nearly $13,000 in unpaid tolls, fees
- Motorists seeing slightly lower gas prices in New Jersey