CALGARY, Alberta - Mickey Mouse is helping WestJet's newest plane take flight around the world.
A custom-painted Boeing Next-Generation 737-800 series plane, featuring Mickey Mouse as Sorcerer Mickey, took to the skies for its inaugural flight Tuesday.
The aircraft is dubbed the "Magic Plane," and its first destination was where else but Orlando, Fla., home of the Walt Disney World Resort.
The new plane, WestJet officials said, is the result of a relationship the airline, WestJet Vacations and Walt Disney Parks & Resorts (Canada) developed in 2004.
"We are very proud of our work with Disney and everything we've done together over the years to enrich the lives of our guests," said Gregg Saretsky, WestJet president and CEO.
A team of 26 people, using 36 different colors, worked around-the-clock for 24 days to give the plane its new look in time for the inaugural flight.
"Bringing this vision to life has been a true collaboration between our companies and it's so exciting to see the final result -- the aircraft is absolutely beautiful," said Marlie Morrison, managing director, marketing & sales, The Walt Disney Company (Canada) Ltd.
Along with the new exterior, passengers aboard the plane will also enjoy a taste of Disney. Cookies served during each flight will be in the shape of Disney characters.
Following its inaugural flight to Orlando, the plane will be put into service throughout WestJet's network, which is made up of 55 domestic and international destinations.
A man armed with a knife was shot and injured by police Saturday after he drove a car into a group of pedestrians in Heidelberg, Germany, local police said.Read More »
- Governors mull Medicaid expansion ahead of Trump meeting
- Spurned again in DNC vote, progressives threaten revolt
- Truck rams New Orleans crowd during Mardi Gras parade; 28 injured
- Kurdish reporter Shifa Gardi killed in Iraq
- Trump declines to attend White House correspondents' dinner
- Judge rules against dismissing charges against Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl
- Public memorial service planned for Al Boscov
- Man shot, killed by Reading police after allegedly pointing shotgun at officers
- Strong storms move through the region
- Police investigating morning shooting in Reading
- Police searching for missing man in Bethlehem
- Bethlehem police searching for missing elderly man
- Judge: Man charged in deadly stabbing will remain jailed
- Police work to bring back murder suspect who fled state with 6-year-old daughter
- Police: Driver owes nearly $13,000 in unpaid tolls, fees
- Motorists seeing slightly lower gas prices in New Jersey