Hurricane Sandy has long left the area, but not without leaving devastation in her path. Many organizations are gathering supplies for the victims, and they could use your help.
* Donations are being collected at St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Cathedral at 1607 W. Union Blvd., Bethlehem until Nov. 30. Drop off donations between 12-3 p.m. Wed., Friday and Sunday.
Items needed: (new items only): non-perishable food, baby supplies, cleaning supplies, hardware supplies, medical supplies, and personal hygiene supplies.
• baby bottles and formula (powdered or liquid)
• baby clothes and blankets
• baby food (jarred or canned)
• baby powder
• diapers and wipes
FOOD (NON-PERISHABLE ONLY)
• bottled water
• boxed/non-refrigerated milk
• canned fruits
• canned tuna fish
• granola bars and energy bars
• instant soups, coffee and tea bags
• packaged snacks or cookies
• peanut butter and jelly
• feminine hygiene products
• hand sanitizers
• razors and shaving cream
• shampoo and conditioner
• soaps (bar or liquid)
• toothpaste, toothbrushes and mouthwash
• adhesive/non-adhesive bandages, antibacterial ointments, gauze and tape
• acetaminophen, aspirin and ibuprofen
• rubbing alcohol and peroxide
• dish soap
• disinfectant wipes and bleach
• heavy duty trash bags
• latex gloves
• laundry detergent
• mops, brooms and shovels
• spray-bottled cleaners
• work gloves
• batteries - especially "D"
• disposable cameras
• face/dust masks
• gas containers- only government-approved "red" containers)
• hand and foot warmers
• masking tape and marking pens
• power strips and extension cords
• can openers (manual only)
• disposable dinnerware-cups, plates, & plastic utensils
• napkins and paper towels
• toilet paper
Supplies gathered will be delivered to 3 Hierarchs Greek Orthodox Church, Avenue P, Brooklyn New York (Coney Island Area). Distribution will be coordinated with The American Red Cross.
For more information, call 610-867-1327.
* The Salvation Army of the Lehigh Valley is responding to the needs of those affected by the hurricane. Individuals and families declaring that they live in homes that were destroyed, sustained serious damage or lost power resulting in the loss of food, clothing or other essential material items, may apply for help, if they lack the resources to replace these items.
Monetary donations are welcomed as The Salvation Army is currently responding to many needs. Donors are encouraged to give via the following channels:
• Mobile: Text the word "SANDY" to 41444 to make a donation to The Salvation Army's hurricane disaster relief efforts in the greater Lehigh Valley through your mobile phone. You will be contacted to confirm your gift. Messaging and data rates may apply.
• Online: Visit www.LehighValley.SalvationArmyPA.org to make your secure, online donation.
• Phone: Dial 1-800-SAL-ARMY (1-800-725-2769). Please inform the operator your gift is for hurricane relief.
• Make your check payable to The Salvation Army, P.O. Box 147, Allentown, PA – Mark it Disaster - SANDY
* AT&T wireless customers can make a $10 donation for Hurricane Sandy relief by texting to the following non- profit organizations:
REDCROSS to 90999 to support the American Red Cross
STORM to 80888 to help the Salvation Army
HUMANE to 80888 to give to the American Humane Society
Customers who would like to contribute more can text up to five times for a total donation of $50. One hundred percent of any donation will be paid to the customer's designated charity and the customer will be charged for the donation via the customer's monthly AT&T bill.
Allentown, PA 18102