Secretary of State Hillary Clinton will testify on Jan. 23 before the House Foreign Affairs Committee about the U.S. Consulate attack in Benghazi, Libya, the office of Chairman Ed Royce announced Monday.
Clinton was scheduled to appear on Capitol Hill in December but canceled her testimony while being treated for illness, a concussion and a blood clot near her brain. The country's top diplomat returned to work last week.
Four State Department officials were disciplined last month after an independent review of the Sept. 11, 2012, consulate attack revealed "systemic failures and leadership and management deficiencies" at the State Department. The violence left four Americans dead, including the U.S. ambassador.
After the report, one official resigned, while three others were placed on administrative leave and relieved of their duties, said State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland.
Clinton likely will face questions about the State Department's handling of security for diplomatic personnel.
In a statement, Royce, a California Republican, said his intention for the hearing is "to focus on why this attack was not better anticipated, what leadership failures at the State Department existed and what management deficiencies need to be corrected in order to better secure our diplomatic facilities abroad and protect our diplomats serving in them."
The committee has held two hearings on Benghazi: one on December 20 with Deputy Secretary William J. Burns and Deputy Secretary for Management and Resources Thomas R. Nides; the other on November 15 with testimony from security experts, including the Government Accountability Office and former CIA personnel.
"It is important to learn all we can about what happened in Benghazi because at the end of the day, it could happen again," Royce added. "After all, al-Qaeda plans attacks over and over again."
Clinton is also expected to testify before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, but a date for that appearance has not been announced.