A man and his dog are lucky to be alive after fire ripped through their home overnight.
The smell of smoke and burnt debris still lingered on West Court Boulevard in Spring Twp., Berks Co., several hours after a fire engulfed a major portion of a home.
Neighbor Monika Bosch said the ordeal scared her.
"It was terrible," she said. "I just heard a man screaming across the street and yelling for his dog. I quick called my husband, called 911, and he called 911."
The fire broke out just before midnight Monday and continued to burn until early Tuesday morning.
"It was a two-alarm fire. There was a man who was actually outside working in his garage when the fire started," said Chief Michael Roth, Spring Township Fire Dept.
The smoke, Bosch said, was thick and black, blowing toward her home.
"We came back into the house, closed all the windows up and all the doors up. In fact, I got a little bit nauseous," said Bosch.
The fire caused about $100,000 worth of damage to the house, said officials, who believe the fire started in the living room, but they're not yet sure how.
The resident, who rented the home, suffered minor injuries when he tried to rescue his dog, said Roth, adding that firefighters found the dog, and EMS crews gave it oxygen.
"He [the resident] had some smoke inhalation. His hair was all singed when we got there, but he refused to be transported to the hospital," said Roth, who noted that the man sought shelter with friends.