NAZARETH, Pa. -

A fire that gutted Mario Andretti's former home was sparked by a lawnmower, a state police fire marshal said.

The flames broke out on Victory Lane in Nazareth, Northampton Co., Thursday night.

The fire was started by a hot lawnmower that was parked near combustible materials in the garage, officials said.

The flames spread to the second floor of the home and were stoked by strong winds.

No one was home at the time.

Andretti built the house in 1967 and sold it in 1999. The fire marshal said it's a total loss.