A three-alarm fire caused extensive damage to a popular restaurant in West Reading and the three apartments above it.

The fire was first reported around 1 a.m. Monday at 614 Penn Ave., home to Bistro 614.

"A whole bunch of ambulances, fire trucks came down real loud, real fast," said Matt Quidi, witness to the fire.

When firefighters arrived they could see flames shooting out of the windows and had to up the fire to three alarms to bring in extra manpower.

The owner of the building said the fire started in the kitchen and spread to the apartments above.

"Yeah, it is a pretty extensive damage. In a kitchen, there are a lot of flammables in there and it caught pretty quick. They got it under control very good and the damage is kept to a minimum. But, it is a complete burnout to the kitchen and the apartment above," said Peter Pakradooni, building owner.

It took firefighters about 90 minutes to get the blaze under control.

All three apartments had to be vacated to make sure they are structurally sound. But the owner of the property has high hopes of getting the place back in working order over the next few months.

"It is just unfortunate things like this happen. We will build it. It will be better than before. The restaurant is planning on opening back up and hopefully the tenants will return and we will be back to normal," said Pakradooni.

No one was injuries but, five people were displaced.

The fire marshal said the fire was accidental. It appears electrical in nature. He estimated damage to be at least $200,000.