Crew strikes natural gas line in Reading
Homes evacuated until UGI could stop the leaking gas
A struck gas main created some tense moments in one Reading neighborhood on Wednesday.
Crews doing work in the 600 block of North 11th Street broke a 1/2-inch plastic main shortly before noon, officials said.
The first firefighters on the scene immediately began evacuating neighboring homes and laying hoses in case the leaking gas sparked an explosion.
Fire officials also set up a command post at North 11th and Greenwich streets until UGI could respond and stop the leak.
Evacuees were allowed to return to their homes less than a half-hour later.
UGI crews remain on scene to complete repairs to the damaged main.
This is the second time in the last week that a struck gas line has prompted an evacuation in Reading.
Thirty-eight children and 28 staff members were forced to leave the NHS Autism School on Gregg Avenue last Wednesday while UGI worked to repair a struck gas line.
No one was injured in either incident.
Copyright 2013 WFMZ. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.