Girl, 3, burned by dropped lasagna, flown to hospital

Published: Nov 12 2012 11:51:59 AM EST   Updated On: Nov 13 2012 05:28:56 AM EST
Burned girl flown to hospital
MUHLENBERG TWP., Pa. -

A 3-year-old girl was flown to a hospital Monday morning after being burned in a freak accident.

The girl's grandmother was retrieving lasagna from a microwave in a home in the Hyde Park section of Muhlenberg Twp., Berks Co., when she accidentally dropped the hot food on her granddaughter's head, police said.

The girl was driven to an urgent care center, but medical personnel there decided her injuries required more advanced treatment and called 911 for an ambulance, officials said.

Paramedics, in turn, decided the girl should be flown to a hospital and called for a medical helicopter to meet them on the parking lot of the nearby Fairgrounds Square Mall, officials said.

The girl was flown to Lehigh Valley Hospital-Cedar Crest for treatment.