READING, Pa. -

A 7-year-old boy has been hailed a hero for helping his family escape a fast-moving fire.

630 Schuylkill Avenue in Reading sits boarded up with a large hole in the front awning. The 7-bedroom building was home to 10 people, including Helena Rivera and her three young boys. Now, they are staying with family and friends after fierce flames started on the first floor Wednesday evening.

"I moved around a lot growing up. All I wanted for my kids was have a place that we were never going to leave, and that was this place for me," said Rivera, who lived in the home for four years.

Rivera said years of hard work and everything she owned has literally gone up in smoke, but thanks to her youngest son, the house is still standing.

Tarin Dugan has been hailed a hero. He was inside at the time and made sure everyone else knew to get out.

Tarin was timid to answer questions Friday. Rivera called her son, "the world's shyest hero," but when the cameras were not rolling Wednesday, Tarin found his voice. In fact, his mom said he screamed on top of his lungs when he smelled the smoke.

"What did you yell, what did you say?" asked 69 News.

"Fire," said Tarin. 

According to Rivera, most of the damage was confined to the living room. She believed the fire started when a box fan overheated and fell against the couch.

The community has stepped up and donated clothes to help everyone get back on their feet, and as you can imagine, Rivera is one proud mom.

"I am so proud I can't even put it into words," she said.

The search for the exact cause of the fire continues.