We may never know what sparked a massive fire at a motel in Berks County last week, investigators said Monday.
The cause of the fire at Klein's Motel on the Fifth Street Highway in Muhlenberg Township will remain undetermined, said Det. James Pollock, Muhlenberg Twp. Police Dept., who also serves as the township's fire marshal.
The inferno, which went to five alarms before firefighters could put it out last Wednesday, destroyed the motel's office and maintenance building, as well as the home where the owner lived with his wife and three children, causing approximately $850,000 in damage, Pollock said.
Much of the motel's guest areas were not touched by the fire; however, they remain without electrical and water service, forcing long-term residents to find another place to live.
The American Red Cross continues to operate a shelter for the displaced residents at the YMCA in downtown Reading.