Emergency responders win state grants
Volunteers in Berks, Lehigh counties will benefit
Nineteen volunteer fire and ambulance associations in the 187th Legislative District of Berks and Lehigh counties will receive more than $235,000 in state grant funding, thanks to a program dedicated to assisting first responders in Pennsylvania.
“We are fortunate in our communities to have men and women dedicated to protecting us in our time of need,” said Rep. Gary Day (R-Lehigh/Berks), who announced the grants Friday.
“Just recently, my family and I were involved in an auto accident, and firefighters ventured out on a cold Sunday evening to come to our aid. Volunteers throughout our district in Lehigh and Berks counties, as well as around the Commonwealth, put in countless hours for training, rescue and response, and fundraising.
"This grant program is just one way in which we can show our appreciation and assist their efforts.”
The grant program, which is administered by the Pennsylvania Office of Fire Commissioner within the Pennsylvania Emergency Management Agency, allows local organizations to use the money for a variety of purposes, including construction or renovation of a fire company or ambulance service’s primary structure; purchase or repair of firefighting, ambulance or rescue equipment; training, or debt reduction.
The following fire and EMS companies in the Lehigh County portion of the 187th District to receive grant funding include:
• Cetronia Ambulance Corps Inc., $7,091.40.
• Cetronia Fire Company No. 1, $13,607.16.
• Community Fire Co. No. 1 of North Whitehall Township, $12,000.
• Community Fire Company of New Tripoli, $13,133.27.
• Fogelsville Volunteer Fire Company, $13,619.31.
• Goodwill Fire Co. 1 Inc. (Germansville), $13,295.29
• Laurys Station Volunteer Fire Company, $12,323.21.
• Neffs Volunteer Fire Company, $13,619.31.
• Northwestern Ambulance Corps, $7,091.40.
• Tri Clover Fire Company, $12,340.22.
• Weisenberg Volunteer Fire Department, $13,458.11.
• Upper Macungie Township Station No. 56 Inc., $12,972.07.
The following fire and EMS companies in the Berks County portion of the 187th District to receive grant funding include:
• Fleetwood Volunteer Fire Company No. 1, $13,619.31 for fire services and $7,091.40 for EMS operations.
• Kempton Fire Company Inc., $13,619.31.
• Kutztown Volunteer Fire Department, $13,560.18.
• Lyons Volunteer Fire Company No. 1, $11,840.
• Topton Ambulance SVS, $7,091.40.
• Topton Volunteer Fire Company, $13,619.31.
• Walnuttown Fire Company No. 1, $12,647.24.
The grant program is funded with proceeds from the state’s gaming industry.
Copyright 2014 WFMZ. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.