Firefighters have gotten the upper hand on a fire that destroyed a home in Berks County.
Crews got the call shortly before 10:30 a.m. Wednesday to respond to 330 S. Walnut St. in Birdsboro for the report of a house on fire.
The first pictures from WFMZ's Ryan Hughes on the scene minutes later showed flames shooting through the roof and rising high into the air.
About 60 firefighters representing multiple companies from as far away as Mount Penn were dispatched to the scene. They battled not only the flames and smoke but also ice as water they poured onto the fire quickly froze.
There were no reports of injuries.
The fire was sparked in a rear corner of the home by discarded ashes from a wood stove, said officials, adding that the flames quickly spread from there.
A woman and two children who were inside managed to get out unharmed, said officials, adding that they believe the home to be a total loss.
Images: Fire in Birdsboro