ROBESON TWP., Pa. -

Officials in Berks County are trying to figure out what caused a fire that destroyed a home Sunday afternoon.

The fire broke out at 448 Weaver Rd. in Robeson Township.

The family was able to make it out of the home unharmed, but three of their dogs died in the flames.

The homeowner's father said he lost his wife and son in a fire 20 years ago, so this blaze hit him hard. He said he's happy his grandson and daughter are OK.

"My grandson was in the basement and all at once saw the smoke and he got out and the dog got out, but he couldn't get any more of them out," said John Sparr.

Neighbors said they heard a loud bang when the fire broke out.

A Pennsylvania State Police fire marshal said the fire started on the second floor, near the chimney. He estimated the damage to be $390,000.