DA: Boys ingested LSD from found bottle of liquid breath mint
Boys showed signs of sickness after getting off school bus in Bangor
Two young boys who were rushed from their elementary school to a hospital in September ingested the hallucinogenic drug LSD, officials announced Wednesday.
The boys told investigators they found a bottle of breath mint drops on the cement steps by their home, said Northampton County District Attorney John Morganelli.
They ingested the drug after forgetting to brush their teeth before school.
"At that time, the minor children were staring off into space, hallucinating, foaming at the mouth and were incoherent," said Morganelli.
The two boys swallowed the drug before school in Bangor on Sept. 24.
"The children that morning had not brushed their teeth and that the children had taken drops from a breath mint bottle," said Morganelli, who added that the contents of the bottle were tested at the state police lab. "It has now been determined, and I have been provided a report that the substance in the bottle that was ingested by the minor boys was in fact LSD."
Both children told investigators they found the breath drops on the cement steps by their home.
According to investigators, two other people who live in the same apartment complex are known drug users in the community.
"It is speculated that one of those adults may have left the mint drop bottle containing LSD outside the residence, which was in fact picked up by the boys; however, we cannot be certain as the origin of the bottle containing the LSD," Morganelli said.
No criminal charges will be filed against any adults involved, said Morganelli, who referred to the day as unfortunate but said the children will not have long-term effects.
Copyright 2012 WFMZ. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.