SHENANDOAH, Pa. - A father was granted a last-minute humanitarian parole to return to the U.S. from Mexico so he can bury a son who died in a fire last week.
Damien Lopez, 10, and three others were killed when their home went up in flames in Shenandoah last Tuesday.
Damien's father, Fidel Lopez, lives in Mexico and almost wasn't allowed to get back to the U.S. to bury his son.
He arrived in Philadelphia Sunday night after being cleared at the last minute to temporarily come back to the U.S.
Originally, he was denied a visa to return, which he said was devastating
"They're very rare, and they aren't issued as frequently," said immigration lawyer Patricia Velasco. "It's not a type of relief; it's just, again, temporary entry into the United States based on these circumstances."
Damien, along with his aunt and two other young boys, died in a row home fire last Tuesday in Shenandoah.
"It's gonna bother me for the rest of my life," Lopez said, who was an illegal immigrant from Mexico who voluntarily left the U.S. three years ago.
He had been working to get his green card and spoke to Damien on the phone regularly.
"I figure when he was more big I could explain the whole thing, but now it's too late," said Lopez.
But Lopez vows to keep working toward his green card.
"Right now, I'm not stopping. I'm doing all my paperwork because I have my other kids, and I don't want nothing happening again."
A memorial service is scheduled for 7 p.m. Monday. A private burial is set for Tuesday.
Authorities say in late April the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children got a tip from Facebook staff about a Facebook user trading child pornography with other users through Facebook’s private messaging service.Read More »
- Leiby's reopens in Tamaqua
- Schuylkill mom says welfare officials okay with 'cage'
- Truck goes off cliff, lands on railroad tracks
- Bushkill Township officer accused of covering up wife's affair with boy
- Schuylkill mom of 3 says 'cage' was actually protective playpen
- 19-year-old poised to be Tamaqua's next mayor
- Updated Cosby 'holding up' as jury pick gets underway
- Updated Cooler and cloudy this afternoon with areas of rain and fog
- Coroner identifies Lehigh County man killed in Allentown police-involved shooting
- BUSH to rock Sands Event Center this summer
- Easton's Common Space Kitchen gives food entrepreneurs a launching point
- LIVE original lineup to perform at Musikfest this summer
- Rock icons Godsmack to headline Musikfest Aug. 9
- Lehigh County man charged with attempted homicide
- New Jersey police allege gun company sold defective guns
- Small plane crashes in Pennsylvania field, pilot not hurt