ALLENTOWN, Pa. -

An errant cigarette is to blame for a fire that damaged an Allentown home, fire officials said.

It happened in the 600 block of North 8th Street just before 2 a.m. Wednesday.

A crew at the scene said the fire started in the top floor of the building and moved to the roof.

Careless smoking was ruled the cause of the fire, said Capt. John Christopher, Allentown Fire Dept.

Christopher said a resident of the home was smoking a cigarette and tried to flick the butt out of the window, but instead the butt went down the window sill and into the wall.

No one was injured, but two nearby homes were also damaged.

The Red Cross assisted a family of four adults and two children with lodging and food.