ALLENTOWN, Pa. -

An alert child who smelled smoke, was able to alert the rest of the family to get safely out of their burning home early Thursday.

The fire was reported around 5 a.m. at a row home at 424 N Fourth St. in Allentown.

Fire officials said the blaze began on the second floor, which sustained significant fire and smoke damage.

There were no smoke detectors in the home, officials said, but one of the children smelled the fire.

The fire displaced a family of two adults and three children, aged 3, 5 and 8.

The fire marshall is investigating, but said it appears to be accidental.

The Red Cross provided the family food and lodging since they had no family in the area and no renter's insurance, officials said.