DA: Threats against schools unfounded
Many schools increase security as a precaution
Comments made during a haircut caused concerns over school safety.
Lehigh County District Attorney Jim Martin says a South Whitehall Township man made a comment about school safety to his Bethlehem hair dresser earlier this week.
The woman then reported the threat to Bethlehem Police which implied there could be a massacre at a Lehigh Valley school, Martin said.
Police investigated and questioned the man.
In the course of the investigation, police discovered the man worked for an armored car company and legally owned two handguns and had a bullet-proof vest for work, Martin said.
The man voluntarily turned the guns over and allowed officers to search his home. Nothing other than the two handguns were found.
Martin says the man was delusional and he voluntarily committed himself through Lehigh Valley Crisis Intervention to Lehigh Valley Muhlenberg where the man remains.
So far no charges have been filed but Martin says the case is still under investigation.
Meanwhile local schools took no chances.
The Easton Area School District superintendent says all elementary school students were kept indoors Wednesday.
The Nazareth Area School District also took additional steps and beefed up security at its buildings.
Copyright 2013 WFMZ. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.