It was a cold wake-up call for some Allentown residents early Monday.

A natural gas leak forced some out of their homes around 12:15 a.m. in the 100 block of North St. George Street.

UGI officials said a resident at 128 N. St. George St. called in a report of a gas odor around 10:15 p.m. Sunday.

Firefighters on the scene and evacuated eight homes in the area, for a total of 20 people displaced.

UGI crews pinpointed the source of the gas odor: the main pipe in the street.

Repairs were made to the main, and residents were allowed to return home around 8:30 a.m. Monday.

Crews worked on the street to restore it to a driveable condition, and repairs are expected to be completed by mid day Monday.

There are no reports of any injuries.