Gas leak forces residents from Allentown homes
It was a cold wake-up call for some Allentown residents early Monday.
A natural gas leak forced some out of their homes around 12:15 a.m. in the 100 block of North St. George Street.
UGI officials said a resident at 128 N. St. George St. called in a report of a gas odor around 10:15 p.m. Sunday.
Firefighters on the scene and evacuated eight homes in the area, for a total of 20 people displaced.
UGI crews pinpointed the source of the gas odor: the main pipe in the street.
Repairs were made to the main, and residents were allowed to return home around 8:30 a.m. Monday.
Crews worked on the street to restore it to a driveable condition, and repairs are expected to be completed by mid day Monday.
There are no reports of any injuries.
Copyright 2014 WFMZ. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.