Residential block of Allentown closed due to gas leak
Officials check out 1400 block of Chew Street
A gas leak forced officials to block off a residential area in Allentown Monday morning.
The 1400 block of Chew Street was closed while crews investigated the gas leak. That block reopened by 4 p.m. Monday, according to a spokesman for the Allentown Fire Department.
UGI officials said a company sub-contractor registered elevated natural gas readings at the intersection of North 14th and Chew streets around 7:15 a.m.
Four people were evacuated from four buildings, and repair crews began work around 7:35 a.m., officials said.
No natural gas readings were found inside the area homes, so residents were allowed back in their homes around 9:25 a.m.
Officials initially anticipated that repairs would be completed by early Monday afternoon.
Copyright 2013 WFMZ. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.