MOORE TWP., Pa. -

Officials said a man died inside his Northampton County home when it exploded Friday night.

Police say gas may have played a role in the Moore Township blast.

Many homes in the Hickory Hills community are heated through an underground propane line.

A portion of that line was shut down following the blast, property managers said.

But residents said they smelled problems well before the explosion.

"For a minimum of two weeks there has been a very strong odor of propane in the park," said Jeremy Setzer, a resident.

Experts said if you smell gas, the first thing you should do is get out of your home and dial 911.

"Don't turn anything off or anything on, leave the house as it is," said Capt. John Christopher, Allentown Fire Department.

Christopher said doing so could be deadly.

"The concern is explosion, ignition. That could be done by many different sources inside the home," Christopher sad.

He said even if your home doesn't run on gas, if you smell it, that's enough reason to call for help.

"It doesn't matter if your home is heated by gas or not. You could still have a problem depending where the leak is," Christopher said.

He said propane and natural gas pose the same threats and should always be taken seriously.

"It's not going to go away, or make itself better, it needs to be taken care of immediately," Christopher said.

Officials have not made a final ruling on the cause of Friday's fatal explosion.