PennDOT is urging motorists to avoid unnecessary travel but those who must head out will see speeds reduced to 45 mph on the following highways: (as of 12:30 p.m. Monday):
- Interstate 81 from the New York state to Maryland state border;
- Interstates 78, 83, 84, 380, 176 and 76;
- Interstate 283 and Route 283;
- Interstate 80 east of Interstate 81;
- Pennsylvania Turnpike from New Jersey to Carlisle and the Northeast Extension;
- Route 581; and
- U.S. Routes 15, 30, 22/322 and 33
Earlier Monday, PennDOT reduced the speed on the following highways:
- Interstate 76 in Philadelphia and Montgomery counties;
- Interstate 95 in Philadelphia, Bucks and Delaware counties;
- Interstate 476 in Delaware and Montgomery counties;
- Interstate 676 in Philadelphia;
- Pennsylvania Turnpike in Bucks, Chester and Montgomery counties;
- U.S. Route 1 Extension in Philadelphia;
- U.S. Route 1 in Bucks, Philadelphia, Delaware and Chester counties;
- U.S. Route 30 Bypass in Chester County;
- Route 63 (Woodhaven Expressway) in Philadelphia;
- U.S. Route 202 in Chester County;
- Route 309 in Bucks and Montgomery counties;
- U.S. Route 422 in Montgomery County; and
- Route 611 Bypass in Bucks County.
Also, in conjunction with similar restrictions imposed on the Pennsylvania Turnpike, these types of vehicles will be prohibited from traveling on the speed-restricted roadways:
- Class 9 vehicles (Overweight and over-dimensional trucks);
- Empty straight trucks;
- Large Combination Vehicles (tandem trailers and doubles);
- Tractors hauling empty trailers;
- Trailers pulled by passenger vehicles;
- Motorcycles; and
- Recreational Vehicles, or RVs.
PennDOT and the PTC may expand these restrictions to other parts of the state later Monday.
Although PennDOT recommends not traveling during intense storms, motorists can check road conditions on more than 2,900 miles of state roads by calling 5-1-1 or visiting www.511PA.com.
The Monroe County Transit Authority (MCTA) will suspend service as of 5:30 p.m. Monday. Customers are encouraged to make final MCTA trips as early as possible to ensure safe arrival at their destination.
The last bus from each location are as follows:
3:30 PM RED ROUTE departing from Eagle Valley / East Stroudsburg to Mount Pocono / Coolbaugh
2:33 PM BLUE ROUTE departing Coolbaugh / Mt. Pocono to East Stroudsburg / Eagle Valley
2:30 PM ORANGE ROUTE departing Bartonsville / Giant to Brodheadsville / Mt. Effort
3:40 PM ORANGE ROUTE departing Mt. Effort / Brodheadsville to Bartonsville / Giant
3:30 PM YELLOW ROUTE departing Stroud Mall to Delaware Water Gap / Marshalls Creek / Bushkill
4:37 PM YELLOW ROUTE departing Bushkill / Marshalls Creek to Stroud Mall
MCTA has cancelled ALL service on Tuesday.
To get road conditions, the state police is asking the public NOT to call the local police department on the emergency numbers.
To get this information:
Interstates and public information: 1-800-932-4600
Pennsylvania Interstate 1-888-783-6783
Direct call 511 (will go right to your region)
Pa. Turnpike 1-800-331-3414
PennDOT 511PA.com Click on the map and check for may weather alerts and/or road restrictions.
Out of state residents who want to call for Pennsylvania road and weather conditions: (717) 783-5186