A massive boardwalk fire in New Jersey was accidental, said authorities, adding that they have linked it to electrical wiring and equipment they said was compromised by Superstorm Sandy nearly a year ago.
The announcement was made Tuesday, five days after the fire destroyed more than 50 boardwalk businesses in Seaside Park and Seaside Heights.
Investigators said the fire started under a building that housed a candy store and an ice cream stand.
They said the fire was the result of a failure of electrical equipment and wiring under the boardwalk and sub-floor compromised by Sandy floodwater.
The equipment had been inaccessible since Sandy struck in late October.