New Jersey boardwalk fire linked to Superstorm Sandy-damaged electrical wiring
A massive boardwalk fire in New Jersey was accidental, said authorities, adding that they have linked it to electrical wiring and equipment they said was compromised by Superstorm Sandy nearly a year ago.
The announcement was made Tuesday, five days after the fire destroyed more than 50 boardwalk businesses in Seaside Park and Seaside Heights.
Investigators said the fire started under a building that housed a candy store and an ice cream stand.
They said the fire was the result of a failure of electrical equipment and wiring under the boardwalk and sub-floor compromised by Sandy floodwater.
The equipment had been inaccessible since Sandy struck in late October.
Copyright 2013 WFMZ. The Associated Press contributed to this report. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.