The Pennsylvania Department of Health is investigating the death of a decorated war veteran who was burned while smoking a cigarette on a windy day outside an assisted living facility earlier this month, officials said.
Richard L. Clentimack died at the Lehigh Valley Hospital's burn center near Allentown, where he had been flown after suffering burns to more than 70 percent of his body on April 3, officials said.
Clentimack, 65, was smoking outside Hill Farm Estate in North Annville Twp., Lebanon Co., on a windy day when he was burned, state police said. The Lehigh County coroner's office said his death has been ruled accidental.
A spokeswoman for the state Department of Public Welfare said representatives are investigating the incident.
Clentimack's family said he served in the Army in Vietnam and was awarded the Purple Heart.