Propane fuel fire extinguished at rail yard in Lancaster County
A fire of propane fuel at a rail yard in Lancaster County has been extinguished after burning for 23 hours, officials said.
Firefighters remained at the scene in Rapho Township overnight. The fire broke out Tuesday morning near a 30,000-gallon tanker, injuring one employee, prompting evacuations and disrupting rail service.
Asst. Chief Bill Hall, of Mount Joy, said crews thought the fire would just burn itself out, but they ultimately had to extinguish the flames.
One employee was injured with burns that weren't caused by flames but were butane freeze burns, said Paul Wheaton, CEO, Lancaster Propane Gas.
While the fire remains under investigation, Wheaton said it was sparked by a failed compressor motor.
Copyright 2013 WFMZ. The Associated Press contributed to this report. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.